Excess (Canberra) travel leave is provided to compensate employees who are required to travel from their work base to Canberra on a Sunday, or a day which is a public holiday in their work base:
- for sittings of either House of Parliament (including joint sittings): or
- Senate estimates and Parliamentary Committee meetings;
that occur on the following day.
An employee may claim one additional day of annual leave for each two Sundays/public holidays spent travelling up to a limit of eight additional days of annual leave per calendar year. Excess (Canberra) travel leave is only available for employees with a work base listed below.
Claims for excess (Canberra) travel leave must be received by Ministerial and Parliamentary Services within six months after the travel has been completed.
The employees of Senators and Members who have work bases in the following locations may claim excess (Canberra) travel leave:
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory
- in the following Federal electorates, as listed in the Enterprise Agreement or approved from time to time by the Minister:
- Barker (work bases in Mt Gambier and Renmark only)
- Grey (work bases in Port Pirie and Kadina only)
- Mallee (work bases in Swan Hill only)
- Maranoa (work bases in Dalby and Roma only)
- New England (work bases in Inverell and Tenterfield only)
- Page (work bases in Lismore only)
- Parkes (work bases in Moree and Broken Hill only)
- Wide Bay
The above locations are effective as at 14 June 2017.